Chutney Mary, Bangsar with StarHero

So, what do you want to eat? 
Normally when I hear this question, I'll respond with indecisiveness instead of a direct answer. "Chinese da chao? Western? Korean BBQ? Japanese sushi?". Never once I will think of having Indian food because I will just think of mamak and I don't particularly like mamak food. But apparently, I'm so very wrong about assuming Indian food = mamak food.
It was actually my first time dining in a restaurant serving authentic North and South Indian food, and I was surprised by the range of choice in Indian cuisine. If you're getting bored of your daily routine of eating the same kind of food or just finding something different to tickle your taste-buds, I think going to Chutney Mary is a feasible choice!

Paneer Tikka (Vege), RM20.90
Cubes of fresh home made cottage cheese imbued with shahi zeera, wrapped in a green pepper corn enriched multi flour batter and then glazed in the Tandoor
Honestly, I don't really understand the explanation completely and I didn't even know it was cottage cheese that I was eating until I refer to the menu. I thought it was tofu because of the similar texture and the herbs has actually overwhelmed the cheese flavor. 

Tandoori Garden Mushrooms (Vege), RM20.90
Fresh garden mushrooms marinated with ginger, garlic and green chilly in fresh yoghurt, skewered and grilled in the Earthen Oven
I love mushroom and never knew tandoori can be applied to other food other than chickenimage I like this one, it serves as a perfect vegetarian starter.

Tandoori Chicken, Half RM18.90 | Full RM32.90
The "King of Kebab" and the best known Indian delicacy. Whole chicken, marinated in a mixture of yoghurt, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice, turmeric powder and garam masala, skewered and cooked in the Tandoor
I think everyone knows what this is. Well marinated and full of delightful flavor.

Kairi Chicken Special, RM22.90
image Recommended image
Succulent cubes of boneless chicken marinated with fresh mint, mango and yoghurt, skewered and grilled over charcoal fire and served in a mini Tandoor.
I'm sorry for the picture above. You can refer to this link for a proper outlook of the food. I think this would be one of my favorite! Love this! 

Plain Briyani (Vege), RM12.90
Spiced basmati rice

Hyderabadi Lamb Briyani, RM23.90
Hyderabad specialty rice delicacy. Briyani rice cooked with succulent pieces of lamb flavoured with saffron and cardamom.

The rice was a bit too plain for me, but it was good when mixed with the other dishes below. However, I think the mutton was too dry. Didn't really like it. 

Black Daal Makhani, RM17.90
A harmonious combination of black lentils, tomato, ginger and garlic simmered overnight on slow charcoal fire and finished with cream, served with a dollop of unsalted butter
Complements the rice and naan very well. Tasted okay for me, nothing special though. I'm sorry for the lack of description.

Methi Tomato Fish Curry, RM22.90
image Recommended image
This one grabbed my attention. The fish meat was so smooth and the curry is sweet! My favorite of the night.

Cottage Cheese in Spinach, RM19.90
Cubes of fresh homemade cottage cheese cooked with ground spinach
I didn't take a picture of the food! So I guess a picture from their website will do. I personally don't like spinach so I guess I don't have any comment on this. 

photo credit to Janice. "borrowed" from her review blogpost because again, I didn't take a picture of it. *smack head*
Malabar Prawn Curry, RM25.90
Ocean fresh prawns cooked in gravy with nappedina coconut, green chili, curry leaf, kokum masala or spices
This dish didn't leave an impression on me but never the less, I still enjoyed it. 

Plain Naan
Your ordinary kind of naan I guess? 

Roomali Roti
The roomali roti was a bit tad too hard to chew on, is it suppose to be that way? I didn't like the idea of needing to exert much energy when eating. image 

There were some other dishes that was served but I guess it didn't reach our side of the table so we didn't get the chance to try all the dishes that was served. 

I think I'll rate Chutney Mary with 
3.5/5.0
Overall, I think the food has very strong flavor in them but since I'm not familiar with Indian cuisine, I couldn't describe them as detailed as I want to. Frankly, the price gave me quite a shock because I think it's a bit overpriced (since I'm a student) and the food portion was quite small. I guess it can be a kind of luxury food. Well, at least I have tried genuine Indian cuisine as of today. Thanks to StarHero for the invite!

Chutney Mary 
21-G, Jalan Telawi 2, Bangsar Baru, 59100 Kuala Lumpur, WP
Opening Hours | Daily : 10am till 12am
Phone | +60 3-2282 9923


The website is very useful because it is very elaborated. They even have pictures of some of the food that they serve. I can tell ya, they serve a lot of different dishes. If you're a vegetarian, I think you would have no problem in choosing because they serve quite a range of vegetarian-friendly nommies. 


My partner in crime for the night, Thum. I actually brought different people with me every time I went for StarHero's event. image

Couldn't resist posting this picture! All because of Richard's damn epic reaction when we are taking pictures. He was like *swoosh, okay I'm out. Stares at some distance place*

Elaine and one of the interns from StarHero. I'm sorry dude, I have forgottern your name. image


and of course, with Grace too. image

A group picture is a must of course. 
Didn't get the chance to spend more time and talk to the others because I was rushing back home since I have to catch the earliest flight to Penang the next day! Had to wake up at 5am for that and I felt like a zombie.


Fin.
That's it for today.
Bye for now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment