Crochet Pattern | Totoro Beanie for Babies



Hey there! I'm going to write a beanie pattern today and today's main star is Totoro! I'm in love with Studio Ghibli's work but as for Totoro the movie... Let's just say it's not one of my favourite. Hahaha! But it's very popular and he is the signature mascot for Studio Ghibli too. I made it because it was requested actually.



It looks like this when flatten. Well, I don't have a baby at home here so I just stuffed it with some yarn to show how it looked when it's a bit "occupied".

This is a smaller version of the beanie without the white patch.

Let's get started, shall we?


Materials used
Economy Cotton Aran Yarn (10 ply)
- Light Grey
- White
- Black
5.0mm hook
Embroidery Needle

Abbreviation
ch - chain
ss - slip stitch
sc - single crochet
inc - increase
dec - decrease
* or * * - repeat following pattern until row ends
* * xA - repeat instr inside for A times
MR - Magic ring
F/O - finish off

Some basic explanation for the pattern I have written 
"inc" means sc x2 in the next sc
"inc by 3" means sc x3 in the next sc
"2sc" means sc x1 in the next sc, repeat 2x
"2inc" means sc x2 in the next sc, repeat 2x


Beanie Hat Pattern adapted from oombawkadesigncrochet.
Since I'm using a 5.00mm hook instead of 6.00mm, I followed the 3-5 years version but reduced one row of double crochet stitch. So it means I ended at Rnd12 with the slip stitches.
The beanie I made can fit 38-46cm head size. Which I think is suitable for 0-3 months old babies.

As for the smaller beanie, I followed the 6-12 months version exactly as it is written. But of course it is very small, fits 34-40cm, suitable for newborn babies.

Ear
Use light grey yarn.
Rnd 1: 6sc in MR (6)
Rnd 2: *sc, inc* (9)
Rnd3: *2sc, inc* (12)
Rnd4-5: *Sc (12)
Rnd6: *5sc, inc* (14)
Rnd7: *Sc (14)
Rnd8: *6sc, inc* (16)
Rnd9: *Sc (16)
Rnd10: *6sc, dec* (14)
Rnd11: *5sc, dec* (12)
Rnd12: *4sc, dec* (10)
Rnd13: *Sc (10)
F/O and leave a long tail.


Eyes
Use white 
Rnd1: 6sc in MR, then slip stitch into first sc. 1ch (6)
Rnd2: *inc (12)
F/O and leave a long tail.
*Note, even after your have ss into the first sc, you have to increase the sc stitches in the first sc too.

Use black
Rnd1: 4sc in MR
F/O and leave a long tail.

As for the nose and whiskers, just use the leftover yarn from the eyes if it is long enough else just use new yarn.



When you flatten the ear piece, make sure the F/O end is at the side of the ear so that when it is flatten it has this shape. If you flatten the ear at another angle, it will look different.



You can stitch it as far or near apart as you like. I would normally just wing it with my "feeling". But you can refer to mine as a guideline.

Prepare to stitch the eye parts together first before sewing it onto the beanie.

This is how I stitch the eyes.
I stitch on the inner ring of the black part and not from inner rim to outer rim. I prefer it this way. 

After you have stitched up the whole thing, hide the yarn at the backside of the eye. I don't make knots as I would like to minimize knotting for beanies. It might be a bit uncomfortable to wear if there are a lot of knots on a beanie. So just hide it well like this. Sew to the opposite direction to make sure it won't fall off or come off easily.

Eyes are ready!


Same goes for the details too. Just hide the starting point and the ending point of yarn.

Sorry, I don't have any picture detailing how I sew the details on but I guess it is self-explanatory. I just stitch the eyes on the beanie like how I stitch the black iris onto the white part. As for the nose, I use black yarn and stitch 3 times over the same line. For the whiskers, I just stitch over once for every line, I didn't double or triple the yarn like I did for the nose. 



As for the white part, I cut out a piece of white felt and size it accordingly. I also used white thread to stitch the part to the beanie and then cut of some excess part of the felt cloth after that to tidy things up. DO NOT use glue as this will harden the beanie. 


At last, I use the light grey yarn to make the pointy arrow details on the white part.

Pretty simple aye?

Oh, if you have any questions about this pattern, just leave me a comment on this blog post, I'll be happy to help out. Plus if you have done one, I would love to see it too! Send me some links or pictures aye?
Thanks for reading!

If you like what I do, please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Instagramimage
I am on these platforms as well!  

4 comments:

  1. OH GOD- THIS IS SO CUTE- MY HEARRRT <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! :D You can definitely make one as well

      Delete
  2. How do you sew the ears so it will stick up when worn? Mine just flops down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can try sewing the last round of the ear in a "O" shape instead of a flat "l" shape to the beanie? If you sew the ear flat with a "l" shape, it will naturally flop down. I hope that made sense!

      Delete